Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Throwback Thursday: Saved by the Bell

Hi all!
Instead of just strictly reviewing whatever series Morgan and I happen to be watching at the time we thought we'd add some random reviews every week. So we came up with Throwback Thursday posts! In these posts we will watch and review an episode from an old TV show to see how it holds up! I chose Saved by the Bell as my first post.

I've probably always watched Saved By the Bell and its been sitting in my Netflix instant queue for probably over a year but I never choose to watch it. So I decided to pick up on whatever episode I left off on which happened to be season one's Save the Last Dance for Me. If anyone doesn't know Saved by the Bell didn't start out as the show we all know and love, it actually started out as a show called Good Morning Miss Bliss. This show was the first 13 episodes of what became Saved By the Bell and doesn't include all the familiar faces only Zack, Belding, Lisa, and Screech.


First scene Mikey (think Slater but not Slater) and Shana are talking in the hallway and my reaction was who are these people. I temporarily forgot about the whole Miss Bliss thing. I also thought Shana called Mikey Slater but she actually said "see you later" (I just really wanted Slater not Mikey). We now go into the theme song which is the one we all know! I love the theme song and seeing all these characters that aren't the regulars I remember makes me wish I had picked an episode from the later seasons.

Now we have a scene in Miss Bliss' classroom. Though she left the show I really enjoyed Miss Bliss, she was always on the kids side. Mr. Belding is like the preacher in Footloose and refuses to let the kids have an 8th grade (they look younger than that to me--I must be getting old) dance. There was a fight years ago so Belding thinks there will always be fights or he's too lazy to put on the dance.

The very young Zack Morris and Nikki (I'm getting the Jessie vibe from her) talk Miss Bliss into convincing Belding to let them dance. Miss Bliss talks to her teacher friend about it (Teachers have friends! And lives!). Miss Bliss says, "Dorks never get sick" about her lame date she has that weekend. They go talk to Belding who wants to destroy fun by not letting anyone dance because he had a bad dance experience (surprise, surprise). I was surprised there was so much about the teachers and not the kids that was one of the changes made when it became Saved By the Bell.

Lisa (Yay! a familiar face!) talks with Nikki about boys asking them to the dance. Lisa referenced Rob Lowe which I loved. But this episode is from the 80s when teenage girls loved Rob Lowe not just people who loved 80s movies. Zack and Mikey have a heart to heart in the boys bathroom about asking girls to the dance while Zack is yo-yoing. He is yo-yoing in the boys bathroom with a yo-yo. Anyway Zack Morris drops some of his knowledge of women on poor Mikey who we all know doesn't have the Zack Morris charm so its not going to work. He also doesn't have the charm of Mario Lopez but I guess I cant hold that against him.


Shana, who I think is the equivalent of Kelly except not as good or pretty, asks Zack to the dance. Of course Mikey wanted to go with Shana but he didn't tell Zack that. Now we have a decorating for the dance scene where it is made perfectly clear what a fun killer Belding is. Lisa says "Records. That's so low tech" which is way funnier in 2014 than it was in 1989. Screech thinks the ladies want him because he only hears what he wants of conversations and is going to be a DJ. Milo is this DJ character who I really like, it would've been fun if he stayed to be on the kids side against Belding.

Mikey confronts Zack about stealing his girl, Miss Bliss comes to the rescue before Belding has a meltdown. Mikey calls Zack "Mr. Teen Idol" and then Miss Bliss gives them a nice bros over hoes talk (which is the lesson of the episode!).

Finally at the long awaited dance! Screech is wearing the most ridiculous outfit (it was the '80s) and Miss Bliss' date is lame. No one looks excited to dance. Then Mikey walks in and Screech cuts the music on the record player (ha!) da..da..dum... Belding freaks out Miss Bliss says let them talk. It's time for the SHOWDOWN. Mikey says mean things like "ex-best friend" and threatens to punch Zack and the Zack says "Please don't stop being my friend, that would hurt more." Somehow the cheesiest line ever worked on Mikey and they are all good again Zack even lets him take his date home. Then Miss Bliss and her nerdy date dance until the credits roll!!


I enjoyed going back to watch this episode! I really forgot about all these characters from before and don't remember watching these episodes. It was fun, cheesy and with crazy late '80s style yes but still enjoyable. Some things were even funnier now than they were then though I'm sure kids probably loved it more when it aired than if kids watched it now. Overall I think it does hold up if you take it for what it is for a sweet, simple, '80s-90s sitcom for kids.

Did you love or hate Saved by the Bell? Do you remember the Miss Bliss episodes? Can you still watch it today? Share any thoughts in the comments!!

-Allie


**Disclaimer: None of the pictures belong to me. They are the property of Saved By the Bell**

No comments:

Post a Comment